This was the question in my mind after going through stringent diet plan for about four weeks and not seen any remarkable change in my weight. I couldn’t simply ignore or digest the fact that I haven’t lost any weight after following the controlled diet. To find out more, I have read through many reliable articles, books and sharing here a consolidated view on what I learned and experienced. I believe this post helps the readers to get more insight if they are into weight loss effort.
On the outset, when we think about weight loss it evolve around diet plan and exercises. But, it’s all depends on our virtual internal engine known as “Metabolism”. In other words, the result highly based on our metabolism rate. Metabolism is nothing but a collective chemical action which breaks down the food into small particles, converts into energy and burning them. This energy measured by calories. The speed of burning calories by our body in a given time is knows as Metabolism Rate. If this is slow, then the energy gets stored as a fat leading to weight gain. Hence, we will not get expected outcome merely following a diet plan. There are many types of Metabolic Rate based on when and how the calories get burned. To get desired result, it is vital to understand our metabolic rate and how we can improve it to keep our weight under control.
Though the metabolic rates are highly influenced by our gene and hormones, we can take few steps to increase the metabolism which leads to improved result in weight loss effort. First, let’s see when our body burn calories.
- Deep rest – This is when we are asleep or in complete rest, our body burn calories to keep our breath, lungs, heart and brain alive. Even when we sit idle, the calories are burnt to run the internal organs.
- Processing food – The digestive system process the food and converts them into energy. In this process, our body burn calories.
- Exercise – When we do exercise, our body burns calories.
- Non-exercise – All other body movements need energy, our body burns calories whenever we move our body parts.
Some of us have slow metabolic rates and others have fast metabolic rates. If we have slow metabolic rate, this is the reason that only diet plan not helping us to get rid of excess fat. The good news is we can improve the metabolism by taking few steps. Though we can’t do much on the calories burnt during “Deep rest” mode, we can concentrate on other areas by taking actions as listed below. If we combine all these actions during our weight loss effort, we can get much better result than solely depending on diet restriction.
- Eat right food at right time – Do not get into starvation mode, it leads to lack of energy in our body which results in slow metabolic rate. Our body accommodate the low energy level by slowing down the calories burnt. Drink lot of cold water, this helps to burn more calories as our body try to keep us warm.
- Exercise regularly – Plan your workouts at least five days a week, it should be consistent and regular. The interval training will increase the metabolic rate considerably. This is nothing but high intensity workout followed by normal one. For example, during jogging, go for 30 seconds high speed jogging followed by 30 seconds normal running.
- Non-exercise activities – Concentrating on all our non-exercise activities will play a considerable role in our weight reduction. We ignore this part most of the time, but it has high level of influence in burning calories. This could be as simple activities as,
- Choosing stairs instead of lift or escalators.
- Completing household stuff by ourselves.
- Not always sitting in front of desk, prefer to stand whenever possible
- Walking as much as we can
- Doing all simple stuff by ourselves everyday.
After getting a customized diet plan from a professional if we can make these little steps to boost our metabolism rate, I’m sure we will get the desired result at the earliest and can keep our body weight under control.
Image Credit: Pixabay
Image Credit: Pixabay